|NCSBA LEGISLATIVE UPDATE
MARCH 24, 2017
It is critical that Senator(s) be contacted this weekend on the K-3 class size issue/HB 13. Please communicate with your Senate member(s) this weekend and press upon them the serious urgency of getting the K-3 class size issue resolved. Click here to find your Senator(s).
Below are three points to specifically talk about with your Senator(s).
1) Whether the uncertainty on the class size issue has caused any delays in issuing planning guides to principals in your district for the 2017-18 school year.
2) Whether the uncertainty on the class size issue has been creating any issues in your district in contracting with personnel for the 2017-18 school year.
3) Whether there are concerns in your district about the ability to find certified teachers to fill the additional classrooms from the class size changes. Let them know that having long-term substitutes to fill these vacancies is not an educationally sound solution.
GUNS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
HB 174- Concealed Carry/Church School Prop., is a measure moving in the House that aims to allow concealed carry permit holders the right to carry a concealed firearm into a church service on property that also contains a church school. Some lawmakers raised concerns during committee Wednesday that the language as drafted could also be read to create a right to carry a concealed firearm on the property of public schools that rent out space to religious groups for church services. This could lead to some public schools choosing to discontinue those leases. NCSBA has been working with the bill sponsor to get that language clarified as it moves to the House floor next week.
The committee hearing on HB 174 produced some tense moments as one member objected to having the bill approved before resolving the uncertainty about its applicability to public school property. You can read about the committee hearing and watch a video here.
EDUCATION BILLS WITH MOVEMENT THIS WEEK
School Calendar Flexibility
1) HB 389 creates a pilot program for 20 LEAs to begin the school year no earlier than August 10. It is sponsored by Reps. Harry Warren, R-Rowan, Craig Horn, R-Union, Linda Johnson, R-Cabarrus, and Chuck McGrady, R-Henderson. Click here to see which LEAs would be put into this pilot.
2) HB 375 would allow ALL LEAs to align the start of their school year with that of their local community college, but no earlier than August 15. Reps. Jonathan Jordan, R-Ashe, Craig Horn, R-Union, Linda Johnson, R-Cabarrus, and Chuck McGrady, R-Henderson, are the sponsors.
The meeting begins at 10:00 AM on Tuesday, March 28.
HB 285 is sponsored by Reps. Greg Murphy, R-Pitt, Jon Hardister, R-Guilford, Nelson Dollar, R-Wake, and Josh Dobson, R-McDowell.
NC Final Exams
RURAL EDUCATION ADVOCACY DAY
There will be a Rural Education Advocacy Day taking place next week at the State government complex. Click here for a flyer with more information about the event.
Action Bills: Click here for the NCSBA-tracked bills that had action this week.
New Bills: Click here for a list of bills filed this week that NCSBA is tracking.
Monday, March 27
Tuesday, March 28
Leanne E. Winner